Leipzig, 5 October 2023 – EEX Group reports its September 2023 volumes with the following highlights:
- Trading volume on the global power markets of EEX Group increased 86% Year-on-Year to 756.6 TWh, with European power derivatives reaching 469.5 TWh, a 111% growth YoY.
- Trading volumes have returned to a similar level seen in September 2021, prior to the Russian-Ukrainian war, when EEX Group’s global power markets were at 771 TWh and European power derivatives trading reached more than 500 TWh. Volumes in September 2022 were strongly affected by the energy crisis.
- The EEX Japan Power Derivatives Market continues on the path of exceptional growth in its third year of operation, with a 168% YoY growth in September 2023.
- Short-term power trading at EPEX SPOT increased by 26% YoY, partly driven by strong Intraday markets and with a new record on the German Day-Ahead market.
- EEX Group’s natural gas markets amounted to 585.2 TWh in total, which is slightly higher than last year’s unprecedented trading volume (September 2022: 583.3 TWh) and more than twice the total EEX Group natural gas trading volume in September 2021 (235 TWh). Also, the Danish natural gas spot (ETF) market registered the highest increase (885%) when compared to last September.
- In the field of European environmental markets EEX’s emissions spot markets saw an increase of +83%.
- September trading volumes also showed growth on the EEX freight markets: Options trading rose by 156%, trading in futures increased by 17%, accumulating to an overall growth of 21% YoY.
Please find the full volume report attached as well as on our website.
EEX Group builds secure, successful and sustainable commodity markets worldwide – together with its customers. The group offers trading in power, natural gas, environmental products, freight and agriculturals as well as subsequent clearing and registry services, connecting a network of more than 800 trading participants. EEX Group consists of European Energy Exchange (EEX), EPEX SPOT, EEX Asia, GET Baltic, Power Exchange Central Europe (PXE) and Nodal Exchange as well as the registry provider Grexel Systems and the software companies KB Tech and Lacima. Clearing is provided by EEX Group’s clearing houses European Commodity Clearing (ECC) and Nodal Clear. EEX Group is part of Deutsche Börse Group. More information: www.eex-group.com